Heeeey! Travelling to beautiful places and capturing them in a moment in time is priceless.
We probably share the same passion for the arts and I adore ancient Greece. Here are my favourite photos of modern and ancient Greece with you!
By the way... I will update this page at some point as I will keep taking more photos. Hope these shots will inspire you to visit mythical places, if you haven't already. ~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. In this photo: HELLO from Odysseus' Palace! This is in Ithaca where Homer's school is too! An 8th BC century palace which Greek archaeologists claim was the home of Odysseus has been discovered in Ithaca, fuelling theories that the hero of Homer's epic poem was real. <3 P.S. I'm dying for things like thaaaat!
2. In this photo: Odeon of Herodes Atticus. Herodes Atticus was an aristocratic and wealthy Greek who funded several great building projects in ancient Athens, including the Odeum (also Odeon or Herodeion you see below), which he commissioned in 161 BC in memory of his wife. Found at the bottom of the southern slopes of the Acropolis, it was a concert hall with 32 rows of seating around a semi-circular, tiled stage and covered with a wooden ceiling to aid acoustics. Able to accommodate an audience of 5,000, the Odeum’s three-story exterior was adorned with four vast arches and decorated with statues of the muses. HOW AMAZING! and the acoustics are GOLDEN!
P.S. I've watched a couple of performances there and one of my dreams is to play in this theatre one day. <3
3. In this photo: Sunset with the view of Athens... It makes me wanna cry! Happy Tears that is! :D
4. In this photo: My Caryatid sisters on the Acropolis just at the opposite side of the Parthenon, which is my favourite artefact in the Whole World and it inspired most of the classical buildings' architecture you see around.
According to a story related by the 1st-century-BC Roman architectural writer Vitruvius, the Caryatids represented the women of Caryae, who were doomed to hard labour because the town sided with the Persians in 480 BC during their second invasion of Greece. :(
I feel for these lovely ladies... and especially for the stolen one that is still imprisoned in the British Museum.
Don't let me get started on that story because I will see red in 10 seconds.
5. In this photo: Hello from the Home of the Gods, Mount Olympus! I met them! :) On top of my head you see the peak of the mountain which is also called "Zeus's throne". It actually looks like one!! When/If you go, you will see what I mean. Hiking on this mountain has been an incredible experience I will never forget!
P.S. Do you like mountain hikes?
6. In this photo: Another one close to Zeus's throne but this time at 7am in the morning and fucking freezing! Thank god refuge places are there to prevent you from dying in the cold!
I will be sharing more with you soon. <3
All my Love, Hellena x
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device
choosing a selection results in a full page refresh
press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection